Here are the occasional reflections of a joyful traveller along the strange pathways of fantasy and adventure. All my reviews are independent and unsolicited. I read many books that I don’t feel sufficiently enthusiastic about to review at all. Rather, this blog is intended as a celebration of the more interesting books I stumble across on my meandering reading journey, and of the important, life-affirming experiences they offer. It is but a very small thank you for the wonderful gifts their writers give.

Thursday 30 June 2016

Revisiting a master


                                            

With a new title in Garth Nix's Old Kingom YA fantasy sequence, Goldenhand, due out this Autumn, I decided to go back to the beginning and reread right through this series. Actually I have a great many new books on my pile that I am keen to read, but sometimes it is good to visit old friends as well as make new ones. And anyway this is probably one of the very finest YA fantasies ever. So why not?

As well as being an indulgent and hugely enjoyable experience, going back to the first book has highlighted for me just how much this sequence has developed over the years. This applies to the storytelling and world building which has just grown and grown in richness from the inspiration of the early Sabriel, through to the brilliant Clariel. It also applies to the writing; the hugely talented new author of 1995 has now matured into the consummate master of his genre as demonstrated in Clariel. (See my post from Aug '15.)

It has made me even more excited about the prospect of Goldenhand.